13 Ways Of Looking at a Fat Girl by Mona Awad Review!


Growing up in the suburban hell of Misery Saga (a.k.a. Mississauga), Lizzie has never liked the way she looks—even though her best friend Mel says she’s the pretty one. She starts dating guys online, but she’s afraid to send pictures, even when her skinny friend China does her makeup: she knows no one would want her if they could really see her. So she starts to lose. With punishing drive, she counts almonds consumed, miles logged, pounds dropped. She fights her way into coveted dresses. She grows up and gets thin, navigating double-edged validation from her mother, her friends, her husband, her reflection in the mirror. But no matter how much she loses, will she ever see herself as anything other than a fat girl? 

In her brilliant, hilarious, and at times shocking debut, Mona Awad simultaneously skewers the body image-obsessed culture that tells women they have no value outside their physical appearance, and delivers a tender and moving depiction of a lovably difficult young woman whose life is hijacked by her struggle to conform. As caustically funny as it is heartbreaking, 13 Ways of Looking at a Fat Girl introduces a vital new voice in fiction.




Review:
This book is not what I was expecting. When I first started the novel, I though I would end up loving the book. I was disappointed what I received.
First of all, the synopsis is very intriguing and the cover is absolutely brilliant. If I were to be basing my decisions on these two facts alone it would be a great read.
The main character of Elizabeth experiences different things in life. For example, relationships, mom problems, men, as well as many others. Throughout these experiences, Elizabeth is challenged with the idea of her weight. She becomes almost obsessed with the idea of potentially gaining more weight and loosing what she already has.
Overall, I think this could have been a better book if it was organized better. Some things confused me due to how they were placed within the book. This was not the book for me, however, others may love it.
3/5 Stars

Comments

Popular Posts